Posts Tagged ‘library’

Tea at Gothic-Victorian library in Langhorne PA

April 3, 2008

Historic Langhorne Association will host an Afternoon Tea to benefit the Anna Mary Williamson Library on Sunday, May 4, from 1 – 3:30 pm. The library, also home to the association, is noted for its 1888 Gothic-Victorian styling. It is located in eastern Pennsylvania in downtown Langhorne at 160 West Maple Avenue, the original Lincoln Highway. The historic photo below is from the HLA website.

PA_LanghorneLib.jpg

Festivities will include Alisa Dupuy portraying a Colonial Patriot who tells stories of her life in the area. Food by Debbie of Wild Violets Tea Garden in Hulmeville will feature elegant tea sandwiches, scones with jams and lemon curd, desserts, and of course teas. Tickets of $30 per person are available through Historic Langhorne or at Judy’s Corner; seating is limited.

Historic Langhorne Association offers a research library, local artifacts museum and archives of business documents, genealogical records, historic photographs and area maps. It was established in 1965 and its building is open to the public Mondays 7 – 9 pm / Wednesdays, 10 am – noon and 7 – 9 pm / Saturdays 10 am to noon. Call (215) 757-1888 for more information.

PA_LanghMap.jpg

Vintage gas station photo from eastern Indiana

March 31, 2008

LHA president Jan Shupert-Arick sent along some images from eastern Indiana courtesy of the Ternet Collection at the Allen County Public Library (downtown Fort Wayne, a block north of Washington Boulevard and in the midst of three different routings of the Lincoln Highway). The renovated library includes a cafe, bookstore, auditorium, art gallery, computer center, and underground parking.

The photo below shows Oberley Lunch and Standard Oil Station, 1941, on the Lincoln Highway at Zulu, Indiana, a tiny town just west of the Ohio border.

IN_Zulu_Oberley.jpg