Posts Tagged ‘brick memorial pillar’

Lincoln Highway talks will cover NY-to-SF travel

February 15, 2011

LINCOLN HIGHWAY NEWS IS A BLOG BY BRIAN BUTKO
Two Lincoln Highway talks are planned this week. Bonnie Heimbach, project director of the Lincoln Highway Coalition, will speak at Kishwaukee Valley Heritage Society’s Brown Bag Luncheon from noon-1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 (at the Water Works Building, 622 Park Ave., Genoa) about the transcontinental road and its impact on Illinois. The luncheon also will feature the LHC’s traveling exhibit of the Lincoln Highway. There is no charge to attend, but donations are welcome. For more information, call (815) 784-5559.

Above, the offical LHA Packard visits the. MacMahon memorial brick pillar near Crestline, Ohio. Courtesy Univ. of Michigan, Special Collections Library.

On Saturday, February 19, Bob Lichty, Past President of the Lincoln Highway Association and former board member of Ohio’s Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, will discuss the Lincoln Highway at The National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio, northwest of Youngstown. His talk will include a brief history of the road, recollections of the 2003 Cross Country tour, and a preview of the LHA centennial tours in 2013.

The presentation, from 11 a.m. to noon, is part of the museum’s Coffee and Donut Seminar Series that coincides with its 1th Annual Antique Motorcycle exhibit, “Motorcycles on Main Street,” which feature a collection of more than 30 significant two wheel machines. They are on display through May 29 alongside 25 beautiful Packard automobiles and memorabilia from the museum’s outstanding collection.

The educational seminars are free and open to the public but you must pre-register. For more information or to registar call the museum at (330) 394-1899.

Ohio brick Lincoln Highway pillar restored

July 28, 2009

OH_oceolaMP2b

LHA director Mike Buettner sent info and images from a Mid-Ohio Chapter/Lincoln Highway Association work day a few weeks ago.  The original brick pillar that is one mile east of Oceola (Crawford County) was in dire need of repair.  Saturday, led by Richard Taylor, members of the chapter did those repairs.

OH_oceolaMP2d

OH_oceolaMP2a

According to my road guide research, this pillar “was set in 1921 to commemorate the completion of the bricking of this part of the highway, and is the only survivor of what may have been eight pillars in Crawford County west of Bucyrus.  Past-president Esther Oyster has determined that these brick pillars were set at one-mile intervals, in a span of seven miles from Bucyrus to the Wyandot County Line, and has thus far been able to verify the construction of six of these pillars.”

OH_oceolaMP2e